L&R offers landlords a bespoke package tailored to meet individual needs. We provide a unique service offering advice on all aspects of renting out a property including the return you can expect to receive from your investment, legal obligations concerning the property and prospective tenancy requirements.
We offer a wide range of property services suited to individual client requirements including tenant introduction, house clearance, concierge and full property management.
Service and Fees
- Marketing the property
- Attending viewings
- Negotiating with applicants
- Collecting first month’s rent, fees and deposit
- Registering deposit
- completing tenancy agreement and process
- Inventory and Schedule of Condition
- Checking tenants in
Client/Agents fee: 8% of rental for 12 month tenancy agreement
Let & Rent Processing
All the above plus:
- Passing on rents
- Preparing and sending out rent statements
- Chasing rents if necessary
- Accounting to HMRC where appropriate
- Servicing and end of tenancy notice
Client/Agents fee: 10% of rental for 12 month tenancy agreement
If just taking over the property from another agent: 5% of monthly rental figure
Let & Management
All the above plus:
- Dealing with repairs and maintenance
- Coordinating Gas Safety and Electrical Certificates (yearly for GSI and 5 yearly for electric)
- Informing utility companies of change of tenant
- 6 monthly or appropriately spaced inspections
- Schedule of dilapidation at the end of the tenancy
- Negotiating disputes
- Obtaining possession on behalf of the landlord
- Representing the landlord in court
- Overseeing refurbishment work and/or taking care of an empty property? Might qualify for a separate client/agent agreement
Client/Agents fee: 12% of rental for 12 month tenancy agreement
If just taking over the property from another agent: 7% of monthly rental figure
Tenancy Renewals: £65 pa
LANDLORD INSURANCE – landlords should tell insurance company that they are planning to let the property and also ensure that they insure for buildings AND CONTENTS as this acts as public liability insurance which is generally part of contents insurance.
- Maintain and repair property under Section 11 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985
- On tenants request forward address for contact Sections 1 & 2 of Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 and Sections 47 & 48 of Landlord & Tenant Act 1987
- Not to harass or unlawfully evict tenants under Protection from Eviction Act 1977
- Give correct notice for possession under Housing Act 1988 (as amended) & Protection from Eviction Act 1977
- Ensure furnishings and furniture comply with Furniture & Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended)
- To ensure that gas and electrical appliances are supplied and safe under Gas Safety (Installation & use) Regulations 1998 & Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994
- Energy Performance Certificate – before any marketing of the property can commence (apart from website) agent/landlord must obtain EPC within 28 days and provide to the tenant free of charge. The agent/landlord cannot conduct viewings of give out written brochures without an EPC.
- From October 2015, to ensure smoke alarms and where appropriate CO2 alarms are fitted
- Ensure electrics and portable appliances are safe. Electrical Safety Certificate likely to become mandatory in 2017.
- Allow the tenant to terminate if the property becomes uninhabitable
- Maintain adequate buildings and contents insurance
- Maintain electrical and other appliances
- Allow tenant to live in quiet enjoyment
- Abide by other requirements outlined in the tenancy and terms of business
- Deposits for assured shorthold tenancies should be protected under the requirements of the Housing Act 2004 and provided to applicants within 30 days of registering the deposit.
Right to Rent
Since 1 February 2016 immigration status for all applicants have to be checked for Right to Rent. Landlords and agents are now required to check that prospective tenants and any other adult occupying the property have a right to rent to comply with the Immigration Act 2014.